Thursday, June 29, 2006

A View Of Looking For Love In All Sorts Of Places

Do you know the history of fairy tales? Click on the picture for the background.

The search for love is never easy. It's awkward, full of false starts and dashed hopes - Prince Charming one minute, just another toad the next. What is a girl to do?

Some enterprising women in Japan have found an interesting solution, according to a story published by Reuters. For the low, low price of 1 million yen ($8,700 US), they buy their happily ever after - at least for a night - at "host clubs" where the man of their dreams pampers and caters their every whim until the meter runs out. According to the article, there are roughly 150 of these clubs in Toyko's Kabukicho entertainment district, and all are doing a brisk business. Guess this means that, contrary to that famous song, money can buy you love - but only at hourly rates.

If you do try to buy love, be prepared to pay taxes. Like I mentioned yesterday in one of my posts, there's a thrust (for lack of a better word) in governments around the world to make sure prostitutes and their johns give their municipalities a cut of their earnings. According to this story, if a prostitute offers love for sale in Budapest, she'll need a tax identification number. I wonder what the tax audit would be like?

Sometimes ladies, we have to pull out all the stops in order to attract a quality man. We diet, primp, wriggle into push-up bras and "foundation garments" with the grip of a boa constrictor, and all other sorts of nonsense to make ourselves attractive to potential suitors. A woman in Berlin decided to skip the underwire and go straight for overdrive. She has decided to auction herself off to win the man of her dreams. The lucky winner wins her hand and her red Ferrari Enzo. Fellas, you still have a chance - as of this afternoon, there were no bids placed. We all know Cupid is a romantic at heart, let's just hope he's not cheap.

In our search for love, sometimes we come across those who are a bit zealous in their need to hold on to a suitor. My mom calls it "Graveyard Love," and I call it "Lifetime Movie Love." the stalkers and crazies who get very attached and don't have enough of a grasp on reality to let go when love is gone or never existed in the first place. Like the gentleman in this story who, in an attempt to win back his ex-girlfriend, cut off his finger and mailed it to her as a token of his love. "It's my last chance to touch you," he said in the note that accompanied his digit. He even went so far as to wash it off before mailing it, but there's no word as to whether or not it was his ring finger. She responded to his warped romantic gesture by wisely filing for a restraining order.

Then there are those who will go to the ends of the earth to find true love, letting no obstacle deter their search. By now, you've no doubt heard the story of Katherine Lester, the teenager who managed to fly to the Middle East to be with My Space suitor. She was detained by officials in Jordan before making to the West Bank and her rendevous with the man who was intending to marry her. When she arrived back in the States, her passport was revoked and there was talk of prosecuting her as a runaway. Cooler heads have prevailed - she's in counseling, living with her father (who still allows her to correspond with the man because he says there's no point in trying to stop them - she could always run away again), and the state has decided not to press charges. Her passport has not been returned, however. Chances are she won't get that back until next year when she turns 18. She's been quoted as saying that as soon as she's able, she wants to go back and marry her suitor. Who knows if her prince will come (or should I say if she'll get the chance to come to her prince), but she'll have one hell of a story to tell one way or the other. I imagine Lifetime TV is salivating at the prospect, too.

As for my search, there's a prospect on the horizon. So far, things are good. We've talked quite a bit and we'll be spending next weekend together. I'm not going to go into details right now because I'm a bit superstitious and don't want to jinx things, but there's some promise with this one. Will the TEM find her prince or another toad? Will it be the love of a lifetime or a Lifetime TV love? Will Cupid be kind or cruel?

Keep clicking by to find out. More to come later.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

See,See,See, now that ain't right, how you gonna go out like that and compare a brotha to a toad? I am a human being, never been confused with Prince Charming but I hold my own. I can make love to you without taking off my clothes, and have your mind stimulatd by words that you have heard all your life in casual conversation, just used in a different context to connect the dots and meaning.

7:11 PM  
Blogger TEM said...

Are you protesting too much, June Bug? The Prince Charming/toad illustration is a metaphor for the bad dating and relationship experiences many women - especially yours truly - have had in the search for lasting love. They've promised a lot with their words, and have not delivered with their actions. Go back through the blog and read some of the posts about my bad dating experiences for relevant examples. I think the toad metaphor is quite applicable in these cases.

Since I don't think we've ever met, I don't know where you line up in the fairy tale spectrum. I do know, however, that talk is cheap June (or do you prefer Mr. Bug?) and actions speak louder than words. It's good to know that you have a good grasp of the vernacular, but do you have the ability to back up what you say with what you do when the verbal lovemaking is over? In other words, are you all talk and no commitment? Do you have the gift of gab but lack the ability to treat a woman with respect? If you're strong with the words and the deeds, then you will be quite the catch for some lucky woman out there if you aren't already.

As for my personal frame of reference, I don't know what's going to happen with the gentleman who's recently come into the picture, but I'm hoping for the best and prepping for the worst. I judge every man by what he brings to the table - mentally, physically, and psychologically. Making love to one's mind is great in concept, but in order for the TEM to be willing to move forward, a man better be able to say, do, show, and prove.

Hope this clears things up, June. Or Mr. Bug, whichever you prefer.

Oh yeah, did you know that toads are known for their thick skin? I don't know if Prince Charming has that same characteristic, but I'm betting he does because of his follow through. Think about it.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear TEM, you go girl, I love the verbal joust that we got going on, it leaves the mind to wonder about the possiblities. In regard to the name, I prefer JB, as apposed to June Bug or Mr. Bug and Robert B. Singleton Jr. always works for me. I am not only able to talk the talk, I walk the walk as well (Every Body Walk Your Body, every body say walk) reminds me of Morris Day and The Time. I have amazing follow through on my declarations and you will come to find out that I complete all tasks set before me.

3:35 AM  
Blogger TEM said...

VFTT readers, meet Robert - Mr. Bug, JB, Mr. Singleton, whichever you prefer. Robert, meet the VFTT readers. He's the prospect to whom I referred in this post, and as you can see, he's quite outspoken. Keep visiting the site folks for continuing updates on walking, talking and such. It will always be entertaining.

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello to the VFTT Ms TEM is right, I am very outsoken, but try my best not to speak out of turn and never to hurt anyones feelings intentionally. As the Prospect I have a unique window to gaze into the life of TEM from a distance allowing me the opportunity to size her up without getting to close to the fire that burns within her, and boy are their fires. I feel the heat across state lines, but it is a good heat, the type that warms the soul and brings joy to those privleged enough to be near its soothing healing powers.

7:04 AM  
Blogger TEM said...

I don't have any internal fires any more. I went to the doctor, and he cleared that all up with one shot.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to know that all was rectified in one shot. I am sad to hear that there are no internal fires that need to be stoked as I feel you are a passionate woman that has things inside of her that need to and will be expressed. I feel as though there are so many deep internal even dare I say it, primal goings on.

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I say too much, I'm likely to get in trouble. So, it'll be brief: May it all work out. :)

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home